A Guide to Garage Door Springs Repair, A garage door spring is something you won’t pay attention to, until it’s broken and not working properly, leaving you or your car stuck. Garage door springs carry a lot of tension because they handle the weight, opening and closing of doors. Repairing such springs is not a difficult task.
Understanding the type of your spring:
Before starting the repair process you must know which type of spring your garage gate has? You can easily identify your spring by simply looking at it. There are two types of springs and the repair process is different for both.
- Extension springs
- Torsion springs
Here in this blog we will only discuss repairing of extension type springs repair.
Repairing of Extension Springs:
Extension springs are a bit easier to repair as compared to torsion springs. Here is a guide to replace Extension springs on your own:
- Unplug the power supply to your door opener.
- De attach the opener from the door.
- Weigh the garage door with the help of placing scale underneath.
- Loosen the cable and eye bolt to remove.
- Lower and remove the extension spring.
- Remove angle iron from the garage wall.
- Reinstall new angle iron and eye bolt
- Check your cable if there is any need to replace it.
- Change the bottom bracket.
- Get your new extension spring.
- Slide the extension spring on the eye bolt.
- Slide the cable on the pulley
- Re-attach the opener and power supply.
Why do you need to replace Extension springs?
There might be many reasons of springs repair:
- Broken spring.
- Not working properly.
- Door not opening or closing properly.
- Door not responding on command.
- Door making noise while opening or closing.
By following these tricks and tips for garage door spring repair you can easily do it at home. But if the damage is extreme you might need to get professional help.